Sunday, February 1, 2009

All In a Day's Learning

For decades, it has always the focus of many struggling American Yeshiva families to try to supplement their income by sending in jokes to the Reader's Digest anticipating their lucrative payouts.

After that, they try Amway.

My niece, who is in "sem" here in Yerushalayim, came to visit us and bequeathed my wife with a few year-old copies of Readers Digest to reconnect us to our American heritage and to help wile away those precious moments of solitude with stimulating literature.
Well, one of the issues of our new cache dates to September of 2007 and in the joke section headed "All In a Day's Work" appears the following:

My wife was attending an all-day job fair, so I was surprised when the phone rang and I heard her weary voice.
"Everything all right?" I asked.
"Yeah," she said. "I just wanted to talk to someone I didn't have to be nice to."

Eliezer Langer


Ah-h-h. True yiddishe Shalom Bayis.

I know, I know, it was only a joke. And the $300.00 certainly came in handy.

I sure hope she found a job.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Translate