Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Strange Arm of the Law


About two months ago I had a very minor car accident wherein I basically relieved a 2015 Mazda of its right side mirror. Yes, of course, I got out of the car and we exchanged the relevant information. And I didn’t say, “I’m sorry. It was all my fault” although, it very likely was. (I was backing up!) I estimated the damage to be relatively low, somewhere between 500-1000 shekels.

A day or two later I was contacted by the “owner” of the car (the driver’s mother) and I told her that this seems to me to be a low priced damage which is certainly way beneath my deductible, so I would prefer to take care of it between ourselves. She said she cannot accommodate me because it is a leased car.

Fair enough.

All was quiet for quite some time. Then, about six weeks later I finally received a letter from the leasing company demanding payment for damage. Beneath that paragraph was a line that said:

Description of damage:

1.   Damage         1459 NIS

Total owed:  1459 NIS

Well, this amount exceeded my personal “estimate” and, in addition, there was no itemized description of the damage whatsoever. It did not tell me what this sum is based on. How do I know they didn’t replace the brake pads in the process?

While I do take responsibility for this damage, I am not in any hurry to pay it. For sure, I was in no mood to pay NIS 1459 which seemed to me an exorbitant sum for just a mirror. As such, I fired a letter off to the leasing company that I feel this sum is exaggerated and that their “Description of Damage” was not descriptive enough. They must furnish me with an appraiser’s report and/or the paperwork detailing what work was done and the costs of parts and labor. I ended off that for lack of these papers I am not willing to pay more than NIS 600 for this damage.

After patting myself on the back for my brilliant stalling tactic, I sat back to see what would happen.

It didn’t take more than a day or two that I received an email with a note and an attachment. The attachment was a very authentic looking copy of a very authentic looking invoice from a very authentic looking car repair shop in Talpiot. The invoice itemized the mirror at NIS 1389.40 plus labor at NIS 70 (very reasonable labor BTW) for a total of NIS 1459.40. It did not include a report from an official appraiser.

The note said, “Attached is the invoice for the repair of the mirror.” And it ended with these words: “Your request for a settlement (pshara) is denied.”

I read the note and looked at the invoice.  Even though I still thought the part was exorbitantly priced, I had to appreciate that they discounted me 40 agurot. All told, I said to myself, “My goose is cooked. I suppose I am going to have to fork over NIS 1459”. 

NIS 1459 (just a bit over USD $400) is not easily missed in my meager budget and I am all for more stalling. To accomplish this, I immediately sent them a return email which said, “Thank you very much for the information. The price still appears to be exaggerated. I will check into this and get back to you.”

I let a week slide by. I wasn’t even sure it was worthwhile for me to check out the price. Everything looked real, so what would I achieve?  Still, I decided to show the invoice to Sholom, a body shop man in Givat Shaul that I used previously.

Oh boy, am I ever glad I did!

I asked Sholom if this price is realistic and I pessimistically expected him to confirm it as so. Sholom looked at the invoice and asked me, “What year is this car?” The answer is 2015. “When was the accident?” April 2018.

Sholom proceeded to tell me that they obviously used a genuine original part to repair the car and this is what parts like this cost. But then he said that the law says that if someone’s car is damaged, the owner is only entitled to use original parts to fix his car for up to two years from the year of manufacture.  After two years, the car is classified as a used car and any part of the car that was damaged in an accident is considered a used part. As such, the liable party only needs to shoulder the cost of a generic or used part for the repairs.

I asked him how much is a used part valued at? He answered that the appraisal protocol values non-original parts at 50% of the value of a genuine part. There may be an exception if the part is totally unavailable non-original but this needs the approval of the appraiser. As I wrote, there was no appraisal report included in the paperwork.

This was music to my ears!

I immediately went home and fired off a letter to the leasing company wherein I related everything Sholom told me. I told them I am prepared to pay 50% for the part – NIS 695 – plus the NIS 70 for labor for a total of NIS 765 and not a grush more. I ended the letter saying, “Your denial of my request for a settlement is denied!”

I expected not to wait more than another day or two to receive a notice that would either refute my law facts and demand full price or that would concede the facts and agree to close on NIS 765. But all this was almost two weeks ago and, so far, I haven’t heard a peep from them. End of story is that, to date, I haven’t even paid a penny for the accident and who knows if it won’t get lost in the twilight zone? What’s more, I am very confident that when I ever will pay it, it will not be for more than NIS 765.

And what is the moral of this tale?

It pays to know the law.

It could save you a bundle of gelt and heartache. Knowledge is power and knowing one’s rights and obligations by law will always give one a racer’s edge during runtime.

Probably, we all know this valuable piece of advice. For sure, anybody in any line of work knows the laws that apply to his day to day activities. But folks don’t know so much about things that are not everyday occurrences. And they don’t appreciate how much it can come in handy when they least expect it; hence, the lesson that I almost didn’t learn about car repairs. And I only learned it in the nick of time.

Now, many people think they know the laws about certain matters. But they are not scrupulous enough. This is a terrible trap. They may think they are “covered” by the law when they are really not – or that the other guy is not covered when he really is. And this can be needlessly costly. One needs to know the law well, with all its restrictions, exceptions and limitations. We know that nobody knows criminal law better than a professional criminal. An amateur criminal gets busted. So...Take a tip from Bill Sykes. He can whip what he likes…

Of course, this rule applies to any code of laws – secular or Halachic. For we who live in two worlds, we don’t always know when a dispute is going to go Halachic or secular.

Issues and disputes tend to catch us off guard. We can’t be expected to know all laws and Halachos of a mostly irrelevant topic. But a wise person at least knows that now that he is facing an unusual situation, it pays to speak with the experts about the laws and Halachos that apply. He is in for quite a few surprises. Some may be pleasant and others not. But it will help him tremendously to know. And this is why wise people will consult with lawyers, toanim, or dayanim when an unfamiliar situation comes up.

In some cases the advice costs money. This can be tricky and calls for a cost/benefit analysis to determine if the money at stake is worth the investment. If it is, it’s a good idea to shell it out. 

Thus far, in this post, I mainly discussed secular law. The story about the car repair involved secular law and it took me by surprise. I wrote a post a few months back about the laws of extradition. I’ve had readers complaining about misinterpretation and I even put in a few updates, but, by and large, we found a few surprises. The law is not as “smooth” as many of us would like it to be.

Likewise, as a writer on the Internet, aside from the journalistic ethics (which are not laws), it helps to know some of the laws about copyright infringement, good faith criticism, defamation and libel. I have been looking into some of these laws lately because I have been victimized by these.  Once again, some pleasant surprises and some not so pleasant.

Of course, the mandate of One Above and Seven Below and of my blog is to present the Halachic viewpoint. We are Halachic Jews after all (aren’t we?) and I have discussed numerous Halachic topics over the years. In order to do so responsibly, I need to research all of these topics at length.

Moreover, in my ongoing training as a Toen Rabbani (still not finished) I have had to learn a tremendous amount of Choshen Mishpat and Even HaEzer and, believe me, these are where the surprises are.

Consider the following.

Chaim lives in an average size apartment in Har Nof which he owns. His family is growing and he really would like bigger living quarters and he even has a nest egg of savings which he is willing to use for this purpose. He knows he can find a suitable solution by selling his apartment and moving to another less expensive location, but he loves his location and his building and neighbors. Everything is great right where he is except he needs more space.

One day his next door neighbor informs him out of the blue that he is moving. He was only renting and the landlord did not want to extend his lease. The landlord needed cash so he is now selling the apartment to a young family making Aliya from France.

Chaim is livid! If only he knew. Nobody told him! He would have been happy to offer on this adjacent apartment and combine it with his and it would be the ideal solution to his problem. Now, this potential opportunity evaporated to air and he is no closer to his dream than yesterday.

Well, Chaim may have been daydreaming when they were learning Bava Basra in Yeshiva, but if he paid attention, he may be aware that in Halacha there is a law of bar metzra. The law of bar metzra says that if one person is selling real estate, the one who owns adjacent real estate has priority to buy it as long as all other details are equal – at least the same price, at least the same terms, cash for cash, etc.

Even if the original seller and buyer have already gone to contract, the bar metzra can rush to Beis Din and petition them to nullify the contract and order the seller to sell to him. All this is in Choshen Mishpat 175. It’s worthwhile to know it.

So now let’s say Chaim got tipped off about his rights and runs to BD and makes his case.

Good for him.

However, Choshen Mishpat 175 is a very long siman. It comprises 63 articles and they all count. So, let’s say the couple from France doesn’t feel like starting from scratch and looking for a new place. The French husband goes over the siman and stumbles across article 47. Article 47 states:

If one sells to a woman or to young orphans, there is no counter claim of bar metzra…

The Rema gets a bit tougher:

If she bought it together with her husband, the bar metzra cannot even remove the husband.

Whoa! Mr. Frenchman is buying together with his wife. Looks like bar metzra doesn't count.

Poor Chaim. His dream is back in the clouds. He will miss his own bar metzra. Chaim is lost!

But wait! Chaim gets persistent and decides to really go over this siman. Or, he gets a hold of a toen who knows his stuff. Chaim introduces himself to the Rema at the end of article 49:

This is all if the buyer is from this city and cannot find a house anywhere else, but, if not so, the neighbor has priority over everyone else!

Ahah! The couple from France do not yet have a foothold in Har Nof. There is no reason they cannot search in Bayit VeGan (more French speakers there anyway). Chaim is back in business!

In truth, not all dayanim will look at these offsetting Halachos the same way, so it is not certain who will win this fight, but the point is, it pays to know the rules and know Choshen Mishpat 175.

Incidentally, once we are in the neighborhood (get it?), a few months back one of my sons WhatApped me about a scandalous occurrence in Kiryat Moshe (of all places) where, apparently, a dati person sold his apartment to an Arab because he got a great price. Naturally, all of the neighbors and Chardalniks (this is Merkaz HaRav territory) were up in arms with rage. But what could they do about it?

Well, some bright Talmid Chacham remembered Choshen Mishpat 175:40 which says:

If one sells or rents his property to a non-Jew, we put him in a shamta until he accepts upon himself all incidental damage that may arise from the non-Jew…and if a damage arises in the lifetime of the seller (and then he passes), his son must pay the damages from the seller’s estate.

Even this is not that simple. The very next article (175:41) gives a proviso:

This only applies if he is capable of selling or renting the property to a Jew for the same price but he is not obligated to sell it to the Jew for less.

Case closed? Not yet. This article continues:

But if it appears that the non-Jew is buying in order to disrupt the Jew’s settlement, it is all according to how the dayan views it.

Incidentally, all of this is meant to apply only outside of Eretz Yisrael because in Eretz Yisrael, it is prohibited to sell property to a non-Jew under all circumstances because of Lo Techanem (Devarim 7:2). Except that Lo Techanem is hard to enforce in today’s Eretz Yisrael. But it could be that trhe proviso of Article 41 that the seller does not need to sell for less will not apply in Eretz Yisrael because of Lo Techanem.

Anyway, I have no idea what became of that incident in Kiryat Moshe. But the bottom line is:

We all need to know the rules. It can save us a bundle of money and heartache.

This is what I had in mind when I first wrote my book and described the distinction between the “consumer” (amateur) and the “provider” (professional).

Over the years, I have written about many important Halachic issues and my purpose was to reveal some of the surprises to the “consumers” because it is so important to know the rules. Here are some examples:

·       Petzuah Daka – Anyone who needs prostrate surgery needs to get Rabbinic guidance (although in most cases, the standard surgery is permitted). Not only is it absolutely forbidden to undergo a vasectomy, but if one does so, he cannot remain married.

In my courses as a Toen Rabbani I am subscribed to an email group that sends us all of the latest rulings from the Beit Din HaRabbani. This covers all aspects of Even Ezer.

One recent ruling involved a woman who wanted to divorce her husband and to ensure this, she claimed he underwent a vasectomy in the US. The husband did not deny it but said he is willing to undergo a procedure for reversal. The Beis Din ruled that we do not look for the future and right now he is a Petzuah daka. He was given a ruling of Kofim LeGaresh which is the highest level and he can be forced with corporal punishment to divorce his wife.

·       Prenups – It is very difficult for a man to conditionally waive his rights to his wife’s earnings in advance. Either he does it unconditionally or it is not waived.

·       Molestation and Kehuna – As more and more incidents of this crisis arise in well-established Jewish families (R”L) and we are all concerned about the emotional welfare of the abused child, we cannot overlook the Halachic angle. If a young girl was molested with true sexual contact – front or back – by a father, brother, or non-Jew, she is forbidden to a Kohen. Any contact below the waste must be investigated and brought to a Rav.

·       Malshinus – These are the Halachos of mesira and rodef that I devoted so many posts to. The Halachos are right there where I say they are and even so, so many Jews cannot accept them.

·       Extraditing a Jew – This was one of the biggest chiddushim.  A Jew cannot be extradited outside of Eretz Yisrael even in our times of galus. It’s right there in Yoreh Deah 267:85. I suppose some prejudiced people can argue that it doesn’t apply to a regular Jew, only a slave, but it’s very hard to justify such a viewpoint.

I have one more topic to discuss.

I am studying to be a Toen Rabbani. In case you do not know what a Toen Rabbani is, he is a Halachic advocate. Just like it is a lawyer’s job to advise his clients of the laws that pertain to his case, and to argue before the judge to interpret the laws to the benefit of his client, a Toen Rabbani does the same in Beis Din when the code of laws in question is the Shulchan Aruch. The prime area where a Toen is needed is in the area of family law – shalom bayis problems and divorce. Especially because most of the people in Eretz Yisrael that show up to a Beis Din for family issues are secular Jews who do not know the first thing about Halacha. In Beis Din they will learn a bit about the Halacha for the very first time.

And they will be very surprised.

But sadly, even quite a few of those who are versed in Halacha show up to Beis Din HaRabbani for shalom bayis problems. And it’s heart-rending. The interesting thing is that we are now discussing people who know day to day Halacha. They know enough Halacha to keep Kosher and Shabbos, to daven and make brachos, and how and when to use the mikveh.

These topics are in Yoreh Deah and Orach Chaim. The sad thing is that they do not know much about Even HaEzer. Sure they learned a few prakim in Kesubos and Gittin when they were in yeshiva, but by the time these Halachos get into Even HaEzer they look a lot different.

These are learned people and, when they set out for Beis Din, they think they know what’s in store. But as I said, one needs to know the rules with all of the details. And when they get to Beis Din, they learn some rules for the very first time. Rules they should have known before. And if they would have known these rules up front, maybe they wouldn’t have to go to Beis Din at all and learn them when it’s a bit too late.

Here’s a true story.

A husband and wife were at loggerheads and were headed for divorce. In the interim they were together in one place talking to a counselor by phone. At one point, the husband was on the phone and telling the counselor his version of whatever. The wife wasn’t happy with what the husband was saying so she pulled the phone out of his hand while he was in mid-sentence. The husband was obviously quite irritated and angrily grabbed the phone right back.

Shortly after this incident, the wife related this incident to her lawyer (it may have been an inept toen). He told her that she has a case for domestic violence and she should immediately file a complaint by the police and request a tzav harchaka (restraining order). She did as she was instructed.

When the story got to Beis Din and BD could figure out that this complaint to the police was ungrounded, they slapped her with moredes and she lost all rights to spousal support and to her kesuba.

Well, maybe she can sue her lawyer for malpractice and get it back.

When even the most observant couples go to Beis Din, they commonly squabble about what he does or doesn’t do and what she does or doesn’t do. Oft times they are shocked when the dayan asks him, “Why do you think she is required to do that?” or he asks her, “What makes you think that he is not entitled to do that?”

They never really knew the rules. And if they did, maybe they wouldn’t be in Beis Din.

When I was a chassan more than 30 years ago, my chassan teacher taught me all of the Halachos of Taharas HaMishpacha like standard and gave me the standard pep talk about how to interact with my wife during the night and during the day. He also did one extra thing that I don’t think was standard. He told me to read over the Kesuba up front and make sure I understand what it says.

I am told that today, there is a little more training about worldly issues. But still something is missing.

The rules.

Chassanim are taught the relevant parts of Yoreh Deah 183-200 but they are not taught the relevant parts of Even HaEzer 69-90. This is where the rules are. I really think that Chassan and Kallah lessons need to include these Halachos.

I haven’t completed the Toen Rabbani course yet, and even when I will, IY”H, I am really not too eager to take on the job. It’s a very messy profession. Please, I don’t want your business. 
Learn the rules up front, boys and girls. Trust me, you don’t want to pay me big shekels to spring on you surprises.

3 comments:

Yosh55 said...

A patzua daka can marry a גיורת, as was the famous case of rav amram blau זצ׳ל

Anonymous said...

Oft times they are shocked when the dayan asks him, “Why do you think she is required to do that?” or he asks her, “What makes you think that he is not entitled to do that?”

This is frightening. How can I (married, woman) find out? This subject comes up a lot in my marriage...

Yechezkel Hirshman said...

To Frightened Anonymous Married Woman, LOY"T

I gave the answer to your question in the post:

Either study or have somebody who is studious go over with you the parts of Even HaEzer that I listed - between 69-90, although they are not all relevant. It discusses household duties, property rights, spousal support, and if they cannot agree on where to live. Lots of juicy stuff!

Also 115 about Das Moshe and Das Yehudis!

Hatzlacha Rabba

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Translate